Every evening at Vespers in Holy Trinity, Ramsgate we will be singing the Great O Antiphons as we count down the days to the birthday of the Saviour.
Join us at 5pm from 17th December.
The “O Antiphons”
From December 17–23 there is a series of antiphons in the Liturgy of the Hours that have come to be known collectively as the “O Antiphons.” For these eight days before Christmas, each of the gospel antiphons for Evening Prayer (Vespers) sung before and after the Magnificat (Song of Mary) evokes the Messiah by one of his ancient titles, beginning with the letter “O”.
- Dec. 17 = O Wisdom (Sapientia)
- Dec. 18 = O Lord of Israel (Adonai)
- Dec. 19 = O Root of Jesse (Radix Jesse)
- Dec. 20 = O Key of David (Clavis David)
- Dec. 21 = O Radiant Dawn or Dayspring (Oriens)
- Dec. 22 = O King of the Nations (Rex Gentium)
- Dec. 23 = O God With Us (Emmanuel)
The Christmas season proper begins with Evening Prayer on Dec. 24, and so the anticipatory “O Antiphons” end on Dec. 23.